Woooo it has been a while since I have posted a new recipe. This one is quick and simple and very tasty. I love the sweet of bulgur but, I have not ever used flax seed in anything before so I was super surprised with the wonderful nutty taste. This is a Karina modified (what isn't) recipe from the back of the Flax bag.
Flax & Bulgur Pilaf
*chicken stock or bouillon cube
1. In a sauce pan put about 2 tbsp butter, salt, crushed garlic (as much as you like I did 2 fat cloves). Saute on low heat until garlic is softened a little. You could also add onion but I opt out due to severe allergy. onions= delicious but evil.
2. In another pan toss the cherry tomatoes with olive oil, salt, Italian seasoning, garlic and black pepper if you like. Medium heat shaking the pan every so often to cook evenly. Basically you are pan roasting the tomatoes.
3. Once the garlic in the pan is soft add 1 cup of bulgur and 1/4 cup flax seed. Turn heat up to med-hi. TIP: put a lid on while they toast a bit. The flax is a very jumpy seed when cooking. Once everything seems a bit toasted add your broth or water and bouillon cube. Bring to boil then lower heat to medium/med-low and let simmer, lid on.
4. When the bulgur starts to fluff up(about 15 min) add the Italian seasoning, tomatoes and any other seasoning choices. Sauteed mushrooms or diced red peppers would be nice in this too. Cover and let if finish cooking.
5. Turn off heat and let it set for about 10 min. Fluff and serve.
I served this with a nice pan fried Cod. Italian seasoning, red pepper flakes and garlic made it taste like flaky sausage.
other serving suggestions: I randomly mixed in some hummus I was making at the time with the pilaf. Might also be tasty topped with some feta. Yes... I love Greek food.
Hope you like the end result on this one.